Visiting Tatlong Krus in Paete, Laguna
After reading a friend’s post about her solo adventure in Paete, Laguna, I’ve invited some friends to go and explore the place too – right away, last January 15! Haha. We used it as an excuse to prepare for our CDO-Bukidnon-Iligan adventure, which we were advised to do some cardio prior the trip since most of the activities we’ll be doing involves trekking.
My friend decided to bring her car so that we won’t have problems with transportation. And since we were not commuting, we should have a map with us. Unfortunately, the only map I can find is that of Caliraya, which has the same route going to Paete. Fortunately for us, we had fun and we were successful in navigating with the help of the map. J
Below was our actual itinerary.
6:30AM – left OSMA, Pasig
7:00 AM – reached SLEX Shell, had breakfast at Jollibee
7:40 AM – proceed to Paete, Laguna
10:00 AM – arrival in Paete. For those bringing cars, you can park at their plaza.
10:30 AM – start trek
11:10 AM – reached Ilaya Sur (blue waiting shed). There’s a fork. Take the left to go to the summit and straight ahead to go to Matabungka Falls (which is a short trek from here). There’s a water source by the shed which is potable as per the residents.
11:55 AM – reached summit (with a very slow pace. some may actually take it for around 40 minutes to 1 hour). Picture taking, snack time, enjoyed the cool breeze.
12:45 PM – left the summit
1:00 PM – reached Ilaya Sur. Proceeded to the falls just below the waiting shed.
1:45 PM – left Ilaya Sur
2:15 PM – back in Paete market, had lunch and change of clothes at Capati Kainan
4:40 PM – left Paete via Rizal
6:30 PM – back in your arms, Manila
Things to note:
- No registration and registration fee required.
- The path is cemented steps, uphill. Get ready for a real workout for your lungs and legs!
- When we went there, the steps were a bit wet so it was a little slippery because most was wet so be careful.
- You will pass by a creek. Although there are stones where you can step on so as not to get wet, the water maybe stronger especially after a rain so it’s best to be ready with your footwear.
- You can use mojos, trek shoes or even slippers, whichever you’re comfortable with.
- Bring mosquito repellent.
- Bring trail food in case you get hungry along the way.
- Water-500 ml to 1L depending on your consumption
- Bring umbrella, shades, head gear or anything to combat the sun as it can get hot especially if you start late. Of course, you can always check the weather forecast for Paete prior your trip.
- The people of Paete are friendly and accommodating. You can ask them kindly should you need a restroom to change clothes.
Since my friend brought her car, she just requested for Php 100/pax for gas. That and money for breakfast and lunch. Allot for some treats for home or for some shopping though coz you might not resist the items you’ll see there! 🙂
Another reference for IT when commuting (from my friend’s blog):
Three crosses at the summit
View of Laguna from the summit
The name that cracked us up! 🙂
Matabungka Falls in Ilaya Sur where you can take a refreshing dip