Last May 12, 2018, I was able to finally visit Mt. Yangbew (also known as Mt. Jumbo) in Tawang, La Trinidad Benguet. I did this for 2 reasons: a) in preparation for the Mt. Ulap climb the following weekend; and b) to road test my running shoes if it can withstand the mountains too because my hiking shoes has gone brittle as it has not been used for so long so it’s uncomfortable to use for a longer climb and I don’t want to buy a new one hehe.
I brought along my sister and 2 nieces with me.
- We rode a La Trinidad bound jeep and dropped by Pines Park in KM. 4. This is just a short ride. La Trinidad terminals are In Magsaysay and Rizal Park below City Hall.
- From Pines Park, we crossed the bridge to go to the jeepney terminal bound for Tawang. The bridge is on the same side where we got down.
- We asked the driver to drop us off at the Tawang barangay hall. Fare is Php 10.00 so that’s around 6-7 kilometers.
- From the road where the driver dropped us, we had to walk up the street to reach the barangay hall. Not too far though. It’s just around 200-300 meters.
- My sister registered us and we were given tickets. Php 30.00/pax.
- We walked back to the jump-off to Mt. Yangbew. You will actually already pass by this on your way to the barangay hall but since registration is needed, go to the barangay hall first. You may opt to ride back but it’s also just 15-20 minutes walk from the barangay hall to the jump-off.
- At the jump-off, we just showed our tickets to the one inspecting and then we were on our way to the summit. No orientation or guide as there is only one trail and you won’t really get lost. We started our hike at 11 AM.
- We took our sweet time going up the summit. It took us about 1 hour but I know 30 minutes is doable for some. We met someone selling ice candy near the summit so we bought some. Yum especially with the summer heat!
- We stayed at the summit for an hour where had our lunch of boiled eggs and banana there. My niece also vlogged a little hehe.
- We left the summit at 1PM. Same way down. It took us around 40 minutes this time which is good because it started to drizzle when we reached the jump off.
- We just waited for a jeep that will bring us back to Pines Park.
↑Picture with the kayabang (basket which Igorots use to carry their goods, mostly their vegetables)
↑Ice candy at the top!
↑Lunch of boiled eggs and saba at the summit.
↑Pictorials at random rocks on the way down.